St. Michael's Cathedral, named after Iligan’s patron saint St. Michael the Archangel, is situated in the heart of downtown Iligan. It is the principal church of Iligan’s Catholic archdiocese. A sanctuary of quiet prayer in the midst of the city's busy sidewalks and streets, this venerable edifice is a link to the early days of the city and the scene and witness of many solemn ceremonies.
Iligan became a parish separate from Cagayan de Misamis in 1834. According to some accounts, the church original location was somewhere near the river but because great floods of that period (1840s) washed away many of the structures in the vicinity, it was finally transferred to a higher grounds and found its permanent home in (Quezon Avenue) Poblacion.
This was the fourth church erected in 1950. This edifice faced northward and was bounded on the west by the present Quezon Avenue. Its rear end should be touching portion of the BDO-Quezon Branch. (Source: Iligan Public Library)
St. Michael’s Cathedral (1960)
Several major renovations and changes have been carried out since then. The edifice has acquired a tower and a graceful steeple with cross on top and on the other side, the tallest figure of Senior San Miguel - Iligan City's patron saint. It also has its beautifully crafted smoked glass of Senior San Miguel visible outside, and the life, death and resurrection of Christ inside.
Though the Cathedral's interior has been modified several times, enough remains of its original dimension and style to proclaim the vision of its builders and the generosity of its supporters.
The Cathedral today is an ever-increasing influence in the lives of thousands of people. The church has since been offering spiritual guidance and religious services to the community. It also provides a space to anyone who wishes to pray, meditate or seek a quiet refuge.